Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Testing . . .

This week I have been subbing in an elementary school that I am fond of. At lunch today I heard a teacher saying she would love to teach social studies, but since it isn't on the state and federal mandated tests she's not going to. Social studies. For those of you who don't recall what that is here is a little rundown:

Geography

History

Economics

Political science

It is the essence of intelligent humanity and patriotism being ran down in order to create a more pliable (ie. more open to propaganda)but technically advanced labor force. Something about that makes me think of Germany in the 1930's. Wait . . . the day is coming when a reference like that will have no meaning, no power, no recognition. I think it is not just a shame, but it should be a crime.

But nobody asks riotimus for his opinion before they make the big decisions.

R.

5 comments:

Karl said...

Government control of the educational system is one of the pillars of communism. Wait, our education system is controlled by . . .

Good points you make. I would ask your opinion if I were making any big decisions. :)

Jen said...

I just read an article about this very thing today...interesting, isn't it?

~E.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever have the feeling that things in this world have gotten out of control? I was just talking to my boys two days ago about world war II. Social Studies was always my favorite subject. If our kids don't know where they came from, both figuratively and literally, how will they avoid the repeating our mistakes????????

Great post!!!

Shary said...

What a super post. You're a superlative watchman on the watchtower, sir! Thank you!

Mama said...

Well, I am way behind times on this but I agree with all of the above. When the future is robbed of the past what do they have to build upon, learn from, and glory in? I am so very grateful that I have always loved history, not nearly as learned as some I know, but appreciate it, read it, and ponder it often. Thank you for your insight and your logic.