Thursday, January 24, 2008

Still Kicking . . .

I'm still here and living. One might think that with all of my new spare time I would be posting up a storm. Alas, I have not. I am in the process of reorganizing and restructuring my schedule for the most benefit to my family and my writing (of the fiction kind, not the blogging kind, though that will undoubtedly fit in too). So soon you will hopefully be reading more reports about my writing experiences and less rambles and musing. There will be some of those anyways, I'm sure. I can't help it.

In the meantime, I have been introduced to a new band. I know most of my readers are hard-rockers of various taste, but I will share just in case anyone feels divergent. The band is called Son Volt and they are an alt-country band in the style of Cross Canadian Ragweed. And by alt-country I mean defying the Nashville songwriter/hit factory method and writing their own music like a real band does. Their sound varies from song to song with some sounding like a cross between southern-rock and The Smiths and others sounding like a cross between Dylan and Haggard. No real "country" sounding tunes to my ear, and I've been exposed to more country than anyone should ever have to be. It did not shake my world at all, but it has a good groove and I am always ready to support a band willing to write.

So, I'll be back soon with something to report about my writing. Have a nice day. And Write on.

R.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I checked out Son Volt, not really expecting to like them, and I didn't--but I didn't hate them. They do have a unique sound, and there were some things I enjoyed. I liked the trumpets in one of the songs I heard.

I'm looking forward to your writing reports. Seeing your efforts inspires me to do more.

Ing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ing said...

Can't say I'm likely to listen to Son Volt...my taste isn't that eclectic, I'm afraid. Well, maybe I'll give them a listen. Can't hurt, can it. :)

It's interesting to hear that they're in the country vein, though. I've heard and seen the name of the band many a time, but had no concept of what they're like.

It's also good to know that even though they're countryish, they're not *country*. I just can't stand country music as a general rule (I don't like to admit it, but there are occasional, very small exceptions).

Son Volt is a really cool band name, too. Can't beat that.