Friday, March 21, 2008

100 Word a Day Challenge

I've been reading about this challenge for several days and been wondering if I am up for the commitment. I still don't know, but I'd like to find out. Therefore, I am going to participate. I didn't want to post until I'd written something, and I got a little over-excited and did 320 words instead of a hundred, but hopefully I erred in the right direction. I will be writing some more short stories for now - still not ready to become immersed in the novel at this point, but I figure that as long as I'm writing, that is the important thing.

Tonight I worked on the intro to a story called Birthday at the Railhead, another Hobb in his youth story. So far I have the young lads crammed into a pickup throwing around some insulting banter. My brother Zilla might recall the real-life experience from which I'm pulling some of the setting for the story.

I feel like I am a fringer here not knowing anybody in the Union but Daeruin, but with any luck I will "airn" my place therein.

And a thank you to Ing for the kind words and quote over on Blog Ing. Write on.

R.

4 comments:

Jake said...

Hey, welcome. Good to have another on board. I feel like an interloper myself, but it seems like all I have to do to be accepted is pay Ing those union dues he keeps crying about.

- Gatatonic

Ing said...

Heh. Pay up, and we'll all be happy. (Your kneecaps will be glad to escape their appointment with my baseball bat.)

Really, though, all you have to do to be welcome is say you want to join and start posting your progress somehow. I've already added you to my list of Word Counters (which is now almost identical to my entire blogroll).

You know, I keep forgetting that we've never met in person. I think it's because you know Daeruin and Lackhand already (not to mention that I've been reading your blog for a while now). Wasn't so long ago that I felt like an blog interloper (a bloggerloper?) amongst you all myself. :)

Ben said...

You're definitely welcome! I found that my 100 words is becoming easier as my internal editor slowly realizes he's not going to get out of the cell I've put him in. I'll let him out when the 100 words feels more habitual, and then I'll be more free to start editing some of the older stuff and spending a bit more time on the 100 words.

riotimus said...

Thank you for the welcome. I am excited to try to make my writing more regular and less feast or famine.

I think at some point I learned a lesson about my internal editor. He really doesn't want me to finish a dang thing. I don't worry about what I write now until it is completely finished. At least that is what I'm doing with short stories. When I start the novel that could be problematic because a little change made later could require a big change revised earlier, but I intend to be a better writer by the time I tear into the novel.

R.