Saturday, July 19, 2008

Endgame



So Season V of Shogun Wars finally came to an end last night. Lackhand and I finished strong, considering that we have played very little for weeks or more. I was quite happy with my final placement in the Hall of Legends, considering that a while back some of my nemesis' clonish henchman decimated over two thirds of my earning capability.



LH and I had moved to the less-populated island of Hokkaido anticipating retaliation for the nimble strike we did on our enemy. He declined to retaliate personally, claiming "strategy" as the reason, but sent his clones after us. They found LH untouchable, but gave me a thrashing. We stayed on Hokkaido, me to lick my wounds, LH for the decline of time-in required to survive. At the end I moved back to Honshu, while LH stayed on Hokkaido.




I promised Elyena to sit this next season out, and I intend to use my extra time for some writing and blogging.
R.

4 comments:

Ing said...

Hey, good to see you back on the blog.

I'm always intrigued by this type of game, but I've never tried to play one. I think it's partly because I generally suck at video games (always have been horrible at video games), which makes me reluctant to try any computerized/electronic games, and partly because I figure I won't be able to spend enough time to make playing worthwhile (or that I'll spend too much time for it to be worthwhile).

Looks like fun, though.

riotimus said...

Shogun Wars isn't really a video game. It's rather a challenge to explain. It is all numbers and interaction. I was skeptical when LH showed it to me but it ended up being the funnest game I have ever played. The thing I loved most about it is the thing that also makes it such a risk; you are constantly earning gold, and if you aren't constantly depositing it or buying equipment with it some other player will see it and take it one way or another. Everything you do depends on the two types of Turns (Attack and Ninja) that build up over time, and the gold you gradually earn. I liked that the game requires little attention; you can read a book and check in once in a while to use your gold or burn some turns. Or visit with company, watch a movie, etc. and so on. The downside to that is that it never ends, and there is no end to the amount of time that you can spend on there snooping around, trying different strategies, trying to figure out opponent's strategies, arguing on the Forums. Back on the upside - it can be fun no matter how much time you put into it.

R.

Jen said...

Those of us who suffer from addictive behavior should avoid it like the plague.

E.

Jen said...

P.S. Thanks for pinning your season sit out decision on me. :-P