Monday, July 28, 2008

Some Light Reading

I’ve been reading up a storm of late. Here are a few thoughts about what I've gone through in the last couple of weeks.

My Antonia by Willa Cather – brilliant work. I highly recommend it.

Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway – quite a disappointment after the way I felt about For Whom the Bell Tolls (which I think everyone who considers themselves a patriot should read). It had to do with the way he wrote the dialogue.

Lonely on the Mountain by Louis L'Amour – it was another dime-western. It’s a Sackett story, so the characters are interesting for the genre.

Cowboys North and South by Will James – autobiographical, this tells in pure (and disconcerting) cowboy vernacular the state of the cowboy in the early 20th century. I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the era or cowboy history and methods.

The Country Girls Trilogy by Edna O’Brien – I found the first to books thought provoking and inspiring stylistically. The last book and epilogue were an immense disappointment in the harsh language and bitter cynical state of things. And coming from me that should say something.
Also the last book did this thing where it switched from first to third person perspectives by chapter. Lonely on the Mountain did that too, and I did not find that to be a satisfying gimmick in either book.

The Fortunes of War (of the Aubrey/Maturin or Master and Commander series) by Henry O’Brian – these books are incredible. Read them. Read them.

Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini – what these stories lack in depth and originality they make up for in the “Oh Wow” factor for being written by a kid. At least that’s what the New York Times Best Seller list would suggest.

Corpus Christi by Bret Anthony Johnston – This is a collection of moving short stories, beautifully written, and without a happy ending to be found. Stories of “empathy,” I believe BAJ would call them, and I recommend them to anyone who enjoys a bit of melancholy in their fiction.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner – this was written in the “stream of consciousness” method, which to me is a lot like vomiting words on the page and sending it to the publisher. He probably poured over this stuff to make sure it was perfectly dense, though. Thank goodness for Wikipedia. Without the brief explanations they offered there of the time-warping through three different time periods text I don’t know that I would have ever followed it. It is a classic though, and interesting from the perspective of a writer.

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque – this is a chilling tale about WWI and the horrors of war. It is one of the rare books I’ve encountered written in the first person present tense. I recommend it to writers just for that reason, and not just because it is an incredible story.

I’ve almost always got more to say, so if you want elaboration or any of that just say so. Write on.

R.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I know you meant Patrick O'Brian wrote the Aubrey/Maturin series. You just like the name Henry deep down. ;-)

Love,
E.

Ben said...

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like maybe you've been doing some research for your cowboy story. I've only read one of those books: Eragon. Sure, it was pretty good for having been written by a kid. But it wasn't good by any other standard, in my opinion. I have read the first of the Aubrey/Maturin series as well (due to having loved the movie Master and Commander). It was good, but I did not feel utterly compelled to read any further, partly because I would get completely lost for entire paragraphs at a time as O'Brian went crazy with the nautical/sailing terminology. But it was a fun story.

Ing said...

Coming a bit late, but have to leave a comment anyway...

I need to read My Antonia. I remember seeing it on the bookshelves at home (one of my mom's books) growing up, but for some reason I never cracked it open.

Like Ben, I'm not impressed by Eragon. My wife bought a boxed set on sale after we saw the movie (which was also not very impressive), and I tried to read it, but sometime during the second chapter I decided it wasn't likely to be worth my time. There's definitely a wow factor in it having been done by somebody so young, though. (I'm jealous.)

I have fond memories of all my L'Amour reading, especially the Sackett novels (Tell Sackett rocks). It's been a good 20 years since I cracked the covers of one, though.

This post is making me want to read! I haven't read a book in a while.

Shary said...

another late post but "just have to"..one of my summer reads was To Kill A Mocking Bird..It never ceases to impress me.. I"m now reading Mockingbird.. a biography of osrts abotu the elusive author of TKAM, Harper Lee. Also a page turner as far as biographies go.

Your post gets me intrigued by Louis L'amore once again.. surely I'll give him a try this go'round.

So many books .... so little time