Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Magic is Gone

After I made a comment on her blog stating that I had boycotted magic, Theadra asked that I explain myself. Given my longwindedness I thought it would be worth posting here, for courtesy's sake and in case my opinion could be of help to any of my other readers. Ing also said he didn't use magic and I hope to see his reasoning turn up somewhere as well.




Many years ago when I was painstakingly creating the world of my fiction I had been reading a lot of fantasy. History as always, but I was devouring fantasy like chocolate-covered cinnamon bears. In my slow, over-analytical way I started to notice that a lot of authors would use magic as a crutch for weak writing. Their characters would get in a bind and all of the sudden there would be a magical out for them. A lot of times it was completely spontaneous as if rather than work out a solution they just inserted magic so they could move on. I find this problem to be rampant. I can think of few fantasy writers who do not use magic in this way.

Another thing that influenced my decision was reading Jack Whyte's pre-Arthurian books. They were a fascinating historical-minded look at the origins of the Arthurian world, with rational, semi-scientific explanations for many of the fantastic elements. I found that very thought provoking and impressive. I can't recommend the books on account of their graphic and sometimes perverse nature, but they did influence my thinking on this matter.

So I started toying with the idea of creating a minimalist fantasy world that would be completely fictional but without any system of magic. It has been a challenge, but very fun to write. Hopefully my rant will inspire any of you using magic to go the extra mile when you are having a "I'll just use magic so I can move on" moment. Write on.

R.

4 comments:

Ben said...

I had never really thought deeply about this issue until I started listening to Brandon Sanderson's podcast Writing Excuses. He has formulated what he calls Sanderson's First Law of Magic:

An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic.

He goes on to explain that this involves a continuum with "hard" magic on one end and "soft" magic on the other. Sanderson's magic lies on the far hard end of the continuum. It's very rule-based and has an almost scientific feel. I highly recommend reading his blog post about it, which you can find by typing Sanderson's First Law of Magic into Google.

In my own writing, I had decided not to include overt magic, or at least to make it so any magical things could just as easily be explained some other way. However, I keep coming back to "real", overt magic. It doesn't feel like I'm writing what I want to produce otherwise. However, my opinion is that magic should be there to CAUSE conflict as much as to solve it--if not more.

Gretschzilla said...

I love good, non-lazy writing almost as much as I love chocolate-covered cinnamon bears. But only almost.

Ing said...

Mmmm... Chocolate covered cinnamon bears... :) You and Gretschzilla crack me up.

I'll think a bit more about the magic thing, and then maybe make a useful reply. But until then, I just want to say you rule. Anybody who puts a Megadeth song into a post about magic is all right by me. :)

Anonymous said...

First, thank you for indulging my curiosity. I really appreciate it.

Second, this was very thought provoking. I've read a little fantasy, but never paid too much attention to what you pointed out. You're right though. Now that I think back, I can see numerous times where this sort of thing happened.

I'm impressed.