Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Question

There are some TV shows that just leave a viewer like me plagued by questions. I know what you're thinking: if I no longer have TV, how can I watch shows? Well, many years ago, when our first child started making noise even, we stopped watching anything that doesn't have a pause button; we watch our TV on Hulu. But the point is the questions a show brings up:

Was it supposed to be irony that the A-Team was made up of misfits?

Will Tina ever find love? (From some soap opera I saw once as a kid)

Why did the GIJoes ever let that wrestling hack Slaughter act like he could get their special-forced butts trained like they needed to beat Cobra?

These are some questions from years long past. Lately, I've pondered these:

Why is there always a pineapple in Psych?

How come the women of Chuck only put mascara on their upper eye lashes?

And most importantly to me and most of my readers: How is it that Bones is supposed to be so disconnected from humanity, have such inability to connect, understand, and communicate with people, and somehow manage to write best-selling novels? I'm not well read in crime-fiction, but it seems to me that it would still have to have a strong human element to acquire readers. Isn't that why most of us read? To experience humanity in a variety of situations? It seems to me that even if she is the smartest woman around she would still need to connect.

Thanks for reading.

R.

No comments: