Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Yes, this truly happened. Shame on me for writing with my eyes closed. Names have been deleted to protect the victim.

My unsuspecting friend: So do you do bids just for Jeff, or for other people too?
me: I'm usually too busy to do them for anyone else, but the other ISS do them for whoever needs them.
Me: I'd like to bid you.
My unsuspecting friend: What for?
Me: To show you my skill at going through you from front to back, paying close attention to all of the details.
My suspecting friend: I feel creepy.

It reminds me of one time when I walked out of a public restroom and a guy outside said, "Did you notice anything strange about that bathroom?"

I said, "You know, (lightbulb) I noticed they didn't have any urinals in there." The guy nodded at me, my idiocy apparent on his face as he pointed to the women's restroom sign.

If there are two things the old R is good at, it's getting into accidents and embarrassing situations. If that doesn't call for the old 'So be it..." I don't know what does.

R.

1 comment:

riotimus said...

I am here. I just got a little busy with the first week of school and whatnot. My goal this fall I will revise my short stories into a collection that I will call Tales from the Laughing Grass 2006 and using the term 'self publish' very loosely I will produce a slighty-better-than-Word-document version for some people as that are interested. In January I will switch my writing focus and start the novel (to which the short stories are a kind of prequel). I will have to be making a lot more money than I am now if self-publishing is to be an option when I have finished the book. More than likely I will do the old send it to a publisher, get a rejection from the publisher, send it to another publisher, get another rejection from that publisher ordeal. Of course I will have just gone through it to find an agent, so I'm sure I will be well prepared for the road of rejection, depression, and artistic oppression/repression that will come with it.

I too miss the Timp days every once in a while. The corndog, Mark, the tasty odour of diesel fuel, X96, Bryan mastering Heroes of Might and Magic, Joe answering every insurance question with "Do I need to have you talk to my lawyer". How I do go on. Come to think of it the only thing I ever miss about that place is working with Jen, you, and Jody; but then my Timp experience there was a little tramatic.

We went back to that place we grew up a little while back, and the fear that The Destroyer would catch me was a real one. Luckily there is no need for garden gnomes at this juncture, though they may come in handy in the event of an incarceration.