Friday, September 01, 2006

Nickel Creek and the Beginning of School

So a few weekends ago we went to GJ and watched Nickel Creek play the Avalon. They were incredible; I thought they were hilirarious while Elyena thought they were dorks, but I liked that they played well and didn't take themselves to seriously. They played a lot of material from Why Should the Fire Die? which gave us a better appreciation of it. They did some covers, like Short People (which they inserted into the middle of the Smoothie Song), the Britney Spears song Toxic (which caused a few old folks to walk out in amazement and disgust (damn kids these days)). For their solo spots Chris played some Bach on his mandolin, Sean played an acoustic guitar version of Jealous Guy by John Lennon (a new favorite for me, the acoustic version that is), and Sarah did a song of Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits, but I am not sure of the name. They also covered Take a Load Off Sally, and played a song off Chris' solo record as well as one from the upright bass player's album, Mark Stedt I think his name is. It made me want to bust out my acoustic and play away.

Of course then comes the school part and the reason that I didn't bust out the acoustic. Ah, well. At least I have mostly good classes. American Military History to 1917, Ancient American History, some American Lit classes (Realism/Naturalism and Modern era), (do you sense a theme? It wasn't intentional) and a Botany class called Environment Appreciation. So far they are pretty good.

R.

No comments: