Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Problem of Metallica

. . . or “Oh yeah, this is my favorite album.” So I was listening to …And Justice for All on my way back to work this afternoon, and as the title track dropped into that crunching post-solo grind I thought to myself, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” But then I had a series of flashbacks: me, listening to the amazing solo work of the title track to Ride the Lightning and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to the down-tuned clean riffage in The Unnamed Feeling (St. Anger) and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to the ominous riff to Kill ‘em All’s Seek and Destroy and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to the first minute of The Prince off Garage, Inc. and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to the funky, yet moving, introduction to Fixxxer from Reload and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to the deft slide work on Mama Said from Load and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE,” (except for Ain’t My B**** and 2X4, which I despise). Me, listening to the incredible live opening to -Human from S&M and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE,” (again, not really, because I think it is overkill, but the new songs that were actually designed for Symphony and Metallica are lovely). Me, listening to the tremolo soaked rhythm part in Welcome Home (Sanitarium) from Master of Puppets and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” Me, listening to Kirks solo on Don’t Tread on Me (Black Album) and thinking, “Self, this has got to be the greatest album Metallica ever did. IT’S MY FAVORITE.” I could have just as easily used the descending melody in Astronomy, or the harminized solo from Nothing Else Matters (which really did nothing for me until I saw them perform it live once), or the monster riffage from For Whom the Bell Tolls, the incredible intro to Devil's Dance, or the non-stop assault of Disposable Heroes (all 8:16 of it).

I’m guessing that you can see the trend. I don’t think I am alone in this. I think it is a problem for Metallica fans worldwide. What is a rarely-stop rocker to do though? For now I think I will just set my computer to play all the Metallica in its library. And if you decide to do the same, then Right On. Er, Write On. Even so.

R.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You make an interesting point. I believe the answer is, don't pick a favorite. I was just pondering today, how, I shouldn't have ever chosen a favorite color, just because everyone else does. So, I say, don't pick.

Love,
E.

Karl said...

I share your dilemma completely. I keep trying to make a playlist of my favorite Metallica songs, and keep finding that there are very few that don't belong on the list. But a playlist that large becomes cumbersome. What's a non-stop rocker to do? Keep on rocking, of course.

Anonymous said...

We were in the car the other day, and the song Unforgiven came on the radio. I thought of you, I'm glad you like Metallica, Rock on, if you like. Yes, rock on indeed.