Monday, April 02, 2007

WotF Results for Oct-Dec 2006 Quarter

"Suffer the Child", which is actually the stories "The Wasted Portion", "To Turn on One's Own", and "A New Guardian" failed to pull it off with the WotF folks. Despite the heavy editing that I did to it, E and I discovered (after we had sent off the submission) that it was full of typos. Blast. Then there was the part where I took three (semi) stand-alone stories, stuck them under one title, and tried to pass them off as a single story. (There was continuity in the stories with the Lishmen factor and, of course, the child, so I wasn't just being a donkey about it, in case the thought crossed your mind). So it wasn't a big surprise, the way the NULC rejection was.

I missed the deadline for the Jan-Mar 2007 quarter, somewhat deliberately, though I don't know when I would have revised anything with my schedule right now anyways. I am considering doing a revision of "Resurrection" for the next go round. Or maybe I will try to blend the Tales that involve Jeris a little better than six short stories with one title and send that. I don't know. I won't do anything but ponder it until I get through this semester. Write on.

R.

3 comments:

Karl said...

May the pondering build great clouds of stories within you that will pour forth from your hands come semester's end.

Ben said...

I've been curious about this, but not curious enough to do the research myself: What is the ratio of fantasy to sci-fi in WotF? I remember browsing through a couple of volumes and not noticing much fantasy.

riotimus said...

karl - Thank you, and may you also have the end of your semester filled with stories.

daeruin - The ratio isn't very favorible to fantasy. I have two of the books with a combined total of 29 stories. There are less than a third that are fantasy, including stories that ride the edge of both. So that is a factor that also decreases the odds of them picking one of my stories. I have had a few sci-fi ideas that I've considered writing and submitting to them since they don't seem to care much for stories about Arden getting the crap kicked out of him. One day I will get the right story to the right publisher.

R.