Friday, December 07, 2007

A Voice from the Maze


I have spent a week now in what I've come to think of as "The Maze," that is, the regional office of the powerful corporate entity which employs me. I considered calling it "The Maize" because many of the creepy aspects of the corn field apply, but I don't think that I will. I am not alone there - a half a dozen or more of my former co-workers have scrambled, clawed, or just earned their way into this web of cubicles. Today I heard one of them say, "Shine on you crazy diamond," to someone on the phone. It stopped me in my tracks. As many of you know, that is one of my oldest and favoritest sayings that has earned me looks ranging from blank to flat disgust. I am sure that there are other people in the world who say that exact thing and have for a long time. At the same time, I felt a sense of gratitude at the possibility that I perhaps had an influence on a respected colleague. One way or the other, I thought it a unique and surreal enough experience to post about here.
I have four essays and one test tomorrow and then I will be done with the work I need to do to graduate. Hooray. I have been down with the sickness like in that song by Disturbed so I haven't enjoyed getting rid of my commute as much as I initially planned, but I will make up for it.
R.

4 comments:

Jen said...

And now you're all done! Way to go! "Shine on you Crazy diamond!"

Love,
E.

Beth said...

That's actually one of my favorite phrases you say, I also liked you and Zilla's "grandma" talk.

Ing said...

"Down with the Sickness" is a great song!

Shine on, you crazy diamond! (That's a very odd saying; I love it. Where did you get it?)

riotimus said...

I got the saying from the Pink Floyd song of the same name. I don't know what they mean by it. Come to think of it, I don't know what I mean by it. I guess it would be like good job, maybe, or whatever suits your fancy, or maybe it has multiple meanings like some other words and phrases I've heard over the years. I like the way it rolls off the tongue though.

R.