Sunday, February 10, 2008

Twenty-Five Albums - Take Them or Leave Them (Hint: Take Them)

This was going to be a list of my favorite ten albums. I found that to be impossible. So here is my eclectic list of twenty-five albums I think everyone should listen to twice for their own sake as well as for everyone around them. My disclaimer is this: these are all good albums on the whole, ie there may be albums with better songs that also contain filler, intentional or otherwise, and I only allowed myself one album per band/artist (not an easy thing to do for me with some of these). Outside of the top five they are in no particular order. I wrote it in Word with a neat list which did not copy into the Blogger. I've done the best I know how to make the format presentable.


Metallica - . . . And Justice for All – I have addressed the problem, as I see it, with Metallica here. I can recall being an underclassman hanging out at the convenience store next to the high school during lunch, and occasionally at other times. I had borrowed Master of Puppets at an earlier time and while appreciating the aural pummeling it gave me, I was otherwise unmoved. One day a hoodlum pulled up the gas station in a little hatchback with the back filled with speakers blasting Eye of the Beholder. The impact that it had caused me to re-evaluate my opinion of their material and even now they remain one of my favorite bands.


John Mayer TrioTry – Forget “Your Body is a Wonderland.” This live album is power-trio blues-rock in the tradition of the Jimi Hendrix Experience or Cream, and is a strong album for any musician with interests in the blues or incredible live performances.


Dream TheaterScenes from a Memory – This is my favorite of their albums, a concept album as it were with an interesting story and their usual amazing musicianship. I chose this one over all of their others on account of LaBrie’s voice: operatic singers tend to leave me annoyed, and LaBrie falls squarely in that camp, and on this album he annoyed me less than on the others. On the “Fatal Tragedy” solo there is a point where Petrucci plays the same basic melody once legato (with hammer-ons and pull-offs) and then again tremolo picked (picking every note). It is beautiful and one of my favorite moments in music.


CandleboxLucy – This was a great rock band around the mid-nineties, overlooked because they weren’t grungy enough for the grungers nor glam-metal enough for the butt-rockers. Kevin Martin has a haunting voice and Lucy is filled with great songs without any of those pesky f-bombs that made the self-titled album require so much editing around the kids. I really like the way that they bring a little jazz into their rock, my favorite example is “Rain” from the self-titled album, so I guess you will have to risk those waters if you care to hear it.


Nickel CreekNickel Creek – This is great acoustic music from a bluegrass trio who have been playing together since they were little kids. All three sing and are amazing at their respective instruments. I saw them a couple of summers ago, and they are fantastic live as well as on the record. On the first instrumental track mandolinist Chris Thyle does a long legato run that is an amazing accomplishment on an acoustic instrument.


Shadows FallWar Within – Many years ago I thought that I was a metal fan. Two or three years ago I started listening to music on Launchcast with its music filtering options, and I set my preferences accordingly. What I learned was that it wasn’t that I was a metal fan, but that I am a rock fan has some favorite bands that happen to play metal. Shadows Fall is one of the metal bands I was introduced to that I didn’t hate. As a matter of fact this album really brings together a lot of things that I like about other bands in one place: tightness like Megadeth, Slipnotish vocals, pounding riffs like Black Label Society, and a sense of melody like Iron Maiden.


SeetherDisclaimer – To me Shaun Morgan’s voice is the best of Kurt Cobain mixed with Aaron Lewis. There are some intense songs on this album, and even if you have the edited WalMart version you won’t want to play this one straight through with kids around. “Fine Again” is a powerful song about wrestling with one’s inner demons and Seether really put together all of the best aspects of nineties music into this album.


Bon JoviNew Jersey – Cheesy? Perhaps. I remember as lads someone gave Zilla and I a VHS with videos recorded on it (from those days when MTV played music) and we watched “Bad Medicine” over and over again. This really is a great record, good from beginning to end and featuring some of Richie Sambora’s best guitar work.


Led ZeppelinLed Zeppelin II – I think this is their best album. Although many of my favorite songs are spread across their albums, this is one that showcases the best of everyone in the band and I can listen to from beginning to end. John Paul Jones is my favorite bass player of all time.


Cross Canadian RagweedCross Canadian Ragweed – The darlings of alt-country (or at least they should be) this is the first major-label release from a working band that would probably be considered a rock band if not for Cody Canada’s Oklahoma drawl. This album should be in the Good Songwriting 101 required listening.


DefaultThe Fallout – This one made it on the list on account of every song being a gem. That is pretty much it. Great rock n’ roll.


Jerry CantrellDegradation Trip – This stuff is pretty incredible. If it is not enough that it is Jerry Cantrell (half, or arguably more, of the brain and brawn behind Alice in Chains) then I will point out that Robert Trijullo, who played with Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society, and currently Metallica, laid down the bass tracks for this double album.


Lacuna CoilKarma Code – This band was doing female/male dual vocals in a hard rock format long before “Bring Me to Life” awakened the possibility to America. They are Italian and this album is incredible on every level.


NirvanaIn Utero – Cobain’s sonic scream and less of the post-production polish that made Nevermind such a hit with the masses. It is a great amalgamation of punk-indie rock and catchy hooks. Jani Lane must have rolled over in his apartment when he heard this affront to over-production in all genres.


Pearl JamPearl Jam – This is a great album with excellent musicianship and strong songs. It is more intense than Vs and they make good use of their triple guitar approach in the textures of their songs.


QueensrycheEmpire – This is my favorite album by these guys with the most unique sound. The songs are great and the band plays brilliantly.


RadioheadThe Bends – This is one of the best alternative albums ever. I’ve been in bands that covered songs off of this album and it is just fun to listen to and to play. Good all around stuff.


Stone SourCome Whatever May – This one is no good for the kids, but I have never heard a better cross of metal and alternative, as illusory as Ing has pointed the idea to be. Corey Taylor may have the coolest voice in rock and roll, and the music is beautiful. It is the closest to what I would want to make if I were a rock star. But I’m not. I just rock on when I can, and write on the rest of the time.


Stone Temple PilotsTiny Music – Their earlier albums left them labeled as Pearl Jam imitators by people who know enough about music to hear two guys singing in the baritone range and decide that means one band must be a bunch of charlatans. Tiny Music is an album that really showcases some of the best of STP’s work as musicians. It is also the only album they have done that is great from beginning to end, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying the single-coiled rock from this great band.


Toad the Wet SprocketIn Light Syrup – This is an album of songs that did not make it onto their other albums. I find that there is something pure in the demo-style recording in which most of the album was done. Songs like “All in All” and “All Right” have amazing grooves, while “All She Said” should move anyone who is in touch with their feelings. Several of the songs, maybe more, start out slow or even flat weak, but every one of the is a diamond by the end.


U2The Joshua Tree – I didn’t put this on the list because of “With or Without You,” but in spite of it. Actually I think that is a powerful song and I have always been impressed with the Edge’s ebow work on it. Songs like “Red Hill Mining Town,” “In God’s Country,” and “Bullet the Blue Sky” are ingenious socio-political commentaries in a format that really rocks, or pops at the very least (although I think it would take somebody pretty hardcore to deny that the driving bass line in Bullet makes that song a bulldozer of sound).


Veruca SaltAmerican Thighs – I like to think of VS as a female AIC with the chilling vocal harmonies of Nina Gordan and Louis Post over a raw, aggressive musical background. There are many who can’t stand this album. I say listen to it. Then listen to it again.


Alice in ChainsNothing Safe – Speaking of AIC, I could never pick one of their albums and so I have lamely put their best of collection here. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell had something awesome when they sang together, and Jerry’s guitar work suggests that if the grunge movement had failed to catch on that they would have been fine in the butt-rocker society that was in place.


Gin BlossomsNew Miserable Experience – This one is on the list because of its sing-a-long value. Nothing mind boggling in the realm of musicianship or talent, except the ability to write meaningful songs with good hooks.


SlaughterStick It To Ya – This album is actually not that cool. It is on here because it is the best mixed album I have ever heard. The frequencies everyone was playing in, the room(s) it was recorded in, the way they did their post-production—something was magic here, something that Slaughter never got back on any of their later albums. There are some cool riffs, and “Fly to the Angels” is still awesome. I saw them live twice back in the day, and they were better live than in the studio. Blas Elias played the second show I saw with a broken nose because he was being a fool before it started. He stuffed tissue in his nostrils and rocked all night. After the encore Mark Slaughter told the crowd what had happened and that they were taking him to the hospital. If he hadn’t said anything I would have never noticed.


Perhaps you noticed that it is almost in alphabetical order, but not quite. I will let you come to your own conclusions regarding that. So there is my list. If you don’t agree, hopefully you at least listened to them twice like I asked you to, nay, implored you to, for your own sake and that of the world around you.
R.

15 comments:

Gretschzilla said...

I like "Your Body is a Wonderland", and the entire album it comes from. John Mayer rules. Great list. I can tell this took some time.

Ben said...

Albums in your list that I've already listened to in their entirety: Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory, Pearl Jam's Pearl Jam, Queensryche's Empire. That's frighteningly few. Bands I've never heard of: Nickel Creek, Shadows Fall, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Default, and Veruca Salt.

I'll definitely try giving some of these albums a listen, though I'm not confident of finding them all for free. :)

Ben said...

Hey, so if you dislike operatic singers, then you probably don't like Nightwish, huh?

Ing said...

Just a warning...this is going to be a very long reply. You know how I get when I'm talking about music. :)

Looks like your taste in music is more eclectic than mine. I have heard all or part of about half of the albums you mention, though. I think I'll take a cue from Daeruin's replies to my best-of post and comment on your list item by item. It's probably going to run on way too long, but here goes.

Metallica:
I like their early work, and LOVED their Black Album when it came out. Since then I've grown to dislike them for a variety of reasons, some actually related to their recent music (I'm not a fan of it), some stemming from an irrational reaction to their immense fame and (what I perceive as) monumental arrogance. As for your problem with Metallica, I understand it, even if I don't share it; I have the same problem with Megadeth. :)

John Mayer Trio:
I know of several people who love John Mayer, but I haven't heard his stuff myself; guess I'm going to have to. I like a good bit of blues-rock.

Dream Theater:
Right on with Dream Theater! No top-whatever list would be complete without a DT album in it. This is probably my least favorite of theirs, though. I shelved it after 2 or 3 listens because it seemed to me at the time that the album brought out all the things I liked least about them. After seeing your review, I think I'll break it out again, though; I want to hear the solo you mentioned. And maybe a fresh listen will change my mind.

Candlebox:
I probably heard something from Lucy on the radio, but haven't heard the album. I did listen to their first album, and it was pretty good, but just didn't stick with me for some reason. You're probably right that these guys are better than they get credit for.

Nickel Creek:
Another point where you expose the narrowness of my musical taste. :) I've heard of the band, but "of them" is all I've heard.

Shadows Fall:
I know I've heard a something from them on Pandora, and I remember liking it a lot, but the details are hazy. Your experience with the metal genre in Yahoo Launchcast is the same as mine; if their genre selection is anything to go by, I'm not truly a metal fan, just a rock fan who likes some metal bands. That's one of the reasons I quit Launchcast and went to Pandora; if you like Megadeth-style tightness, Slipknot-ish vocals, pounding riffs like Black Label Society (I can't believe I don't own any of their music!), and an Iron Maidenish sense of melody, Pandora's Music Genome filtering can get you there instead of torturing you with all the crappiest bands in an impossibly crowded genre. ANYWAY...I'm going to have to check out Shadows Fall some more.

Seether:
I've heard a lot *about* these guys, but only actually heard a couple of songs. Another band I'm going to have to check into one of these days. (So much music, so little time...)

Bon Jovi:
Cheesy? I'd say definitely. But if you've seen my music picks, you know I have no problem with some good cheese. I hate the love ballads Bon Jovi did later in their career (Def Leppard fell into the same trap), but they have a lot of good stuff, too. I have their first album on my iPod. I remember the radio hits from New Jersey very well. Though I had liked rock music for quite a while by that time, Bon Jovi and their late-'80s radio contemporaries (Cinderella, Motley Crue, Great White, Van Halen, etc.) pulled me away from top-40 pop for good.

Led Zeppelin:
I appreciate the Zep, but haven't been able to get into them as much as a well-rounded rock fan probably ought to. They certainly do have some good stuff, though.

Cross Canadian Ragweed:
The name is pretty cool. Hey, is Cody Canada related to Hannah Montana? :) I have a humongous grudge against country music, but if alt-country means they're not Nashville clones, then maybe I'll give this a listen; maybe it'll expand my horizons a bit.

Default:
A band I've never heard of. I'll be looking them up. I'm interested to find out what they sound like.

Jerry Cantrell:
He was definitely the moving force behind Alice in Chains (but it was Layne Staley's voice and attitude that really set AIC apart, I think). I only heard one or two radio singles from his post-AIC solo stuff, and wasn't impressed with them. But I've always said the really good albums completely transcend their radio singles, so maybe I shouldn't judge Cantrell on such a shallow sample.

Lacuna Coil:
I really like what little of them I've heard. This is on my list of music to buy (if time and $$ allow...never enough of either one).

Nirvana:
I'm not a fan. Although I wouldn't say I like that overly slick Warrant-style schlock either, we're just going have to differ on this one. :)

Pearl Jam:
This is the one album they did that *almost* deserved its hype. I sold off vs. shortly after buying it, and liked them less and less with every successive success (resentment has a part in that, I'll admit). I will agree that the band had some excellent musicians...and I agree that this is hands-down their best album. There's a good reason they had so many imitators.

Queensryche:
I could run on forever about how much I love this band--and this album, which is great--but I won't. I've already talked too much about that on my own blog. Good pick!

Radiohead:
I haven't heard much of this album. I have Pablo Honey, though, and love it. Creep is probably one of the funnest songs I've ever covered in a band. Good, good stuff. The Bends is another item in that long list of albums I should own by now, but don't.

Stone Sour:
Didn't the vocalist from this band do a guest turn with backing vocals on Evancescence's "Bring Me To Life"? Anyway... I haven't really heard this band. As alterna-metal, I wonder how they compare to Sevendust? Or are they maybe more like Chevelle? Guess I need to check them out.

Stone Temple Pilots:
Another band I never could get into. Even though I tried early on, and thought that I should like them, for some reason I just couldn't. I agree with you about the imitator label they got saddled with, though; that makes no sense.

Toad the Wet Sprocket:
What's up with that name? Weird. I couldn't get into these guys, either. Just a personal preference thing, really; their music is good, but it never really struck a chord with me.

U2:
I scoff at U2 by reflex. I don't know why...when it comes to music, I'm full of irrational grudges. I have to admit that they are a damn good band, all things considered. Their bass player is a guy after my own heart; not fancy or flashy, but that simple, tasty bass work holds everything else in the band together. And you might never hear me admit this again, but I listen to my wife's U2 live album (which has some of the songs you mention) on a semiregular basis. I don't want to like it, but I can't help it. They're that good.

Veruca Salt:
I think I heard one song from this album (Seether, I believe it's called). It wasn't too bad, but it didn't make me want to buy the album. But if you say listen, I'll listen. :)

Alice in Chains:
If I were to pick one album, it would be Dirt. Or Facelift. Or Jar of Flies. Yeah, I know what you mean. When they were on top of their game, they were just awesome. A lot of the so-called grunge bands got away with crappy songs and subpar musicianship because they were riding the popular wave, but AIC isn't one of those.

Gin Blossoms:
I bought this one back in the day after hearing them on the radio, but it didn't do for me what I thought it would. Though they're a fine enough band, I just couldn't get interested in their style. Chalk it up to personal taste, I guess.

Slaughter:
I have a Slaughter album myself...The Wild Life. One of their later ones. :) I'd say it's serviceable--not really stellar, but listenable throughout. There are a couple of "high-point" songs (particularly the tongue-in-cheek acoustic jam "Old Man") that really make it worth keeping. To some people they might epitomize the worst of the early '90s butt-rock scene, but in reality they were a pretty solid band. Side note: Slaughter's Dana Strum produced the first album by my all-time favorite obscure hair-metallers, Kik Tracee. So even if they had done nothing of their own worth listening to, that would make them okay in my book. Heh.

Wow. That is one long reply. Sorry about that. I promise I'll be listening to at least some of this stuff, though. I'll let you know how that goes. If you've got the time to waste reading about it, that is. :)

riotimus said...

Thank you all for your comments. Music does soothe the savage beast.

Zilla - The blues-rock he plays with John Mayer Trio is significantly cooler than his solo stuff, though that is the cream of the pop crop.

Daeruin - If you have checked out those bands I hope it wasn't painful for you. The little I've heard from Nightwish has been okay. I was impressed with the music, but operatic singing takes me back to my college chior days, and makes me think "what band that rocks would really put one of these vibrato-abusing thespians at the fore?"

Ing - The male vocal on "Bring Me to Life" was one of the guitarists from the band 12 Stone. Corey Taylor and Mick somethingorother are from Slipnot. Thank you for the in depth response.

I hope you are all rocking and writing on.

R.

Ben said...

Normally I'm very picky about vibrato in a singer. I actually laughed out loud a couple of times the first time I listened to Nightwish (still do in a couple of spots). Tarja has such a huge vibrato, it's almost painful to hear. But somehow I got used to it. And I actually kinda like it now. Go figure.

Jen said...

This is a great post babe! I'm tempted to go through each album and give my 2 cents just as Ing did, but I fear I wouldn't be as articulate so I'll just mention some hightlights:

Metallica: Heaven knows I'd still be in the "they worship the devil" stage of my musical appreciation if it weren't for your loyal stand as a fan. I LOVE them now and though I still believe Load and Reload are their best work, I also enjoy And Justice for All.

John Mayer Trio: I can't say enough about John Mayer, so I'll shoot for economy -- Amazing! Can't get enough! No I'm not referring to his butt.

Dream Theater: I loved that concert and was sooooo bummed when the next show we were able to get tickets to was cancelled. Hopefully we'll get to see them in concert again. I'm totally behind you on the operatic voice in Rock being annoying.

Candlebox: I'll listen with you.

Nickel Creek: Even better concert! Amazing! Must be brief here as well or there will be no room for the rest.

Seether: I too love Shaun Morgan's voice.

Bon Jovi: I feel I out grew them.

Led Zeppelin: "Out on the Tiles" is still my favorite of all their stuff. Having said that, this IS Led Zeppelin after all. There is no end to greatness from this band.

Cross Canadian Ragweed: How lucky for them that all the last names of their members can morph into a great name for their band. And they're really good at what they do as well.

Default: Love 'em.

Jerry Cantrell: I'm including this one as a question to Ing...supposing he ever comes back to this post. Can you tell their voices apart? Layne Staley's voice sounds JUST LIKE Jerry Cantrell's.

Lacuna Coil: They Rock! I don't listen nearly enough.

Nir...nah

Pearl Jam: I especially love their latest release.

Queensryche: Rock!

Radiohead: Do you remember when Darren had me sing The Bends that time at practice? What a disaster, but a fond memory all the same. I guess I'll always love Radiohead because Confluence covered this song, if for no other reason.

STP: Another band that produced a number of incredible albums that can be played all the way through. I hope if I ever really do have to pack up and leave in a hurry I'll have Tiny Music with me and will be able to play it where ever I end up.

Toad the Wet Sprocket: This is a band I'll introduce my children to, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy together.

U2: I Love U2.

Gin Blossoms: You sound great singing this stuff! I hope we'll listen together more often.

Slaughter: Is this the band that grew up in GJ?

Great list! Thank you for taking the time to share it.

Love,
E.

riotimus said...

Elyena - I am glad you enjoyed my list. I thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts on it. I Slaughter's not from GJ, but they played there a couple of times.

Love,
R.

Jen said...

I'm pretty sure Mark Slaughter grew up there...at some point. I wonder how we'd find out?

Love you,
E.

Ing said...

An answer to Elyena...

Of course I can tell Staley and Cantrell apart...at least, I like to think so. I haven't listened to much of Cantrell's solo stuff, though, so maybe I just don't know enough to say one way or the other.

Still, I'm remembering the unique sound Staley brought to the songs on Facelift and Dirt, and thinking that there's no way anyone else could do them quite the same.

Jen said...

For Ing...

I expect it has been too long since I heard either one of those albums...I remember not being able to tell them apart then, perhaps they (undoubtably) deserve another listen. Thanks for replying.

E.

Karl said...

I can tell Staley and Cantrell apart easily. But then, I've basically memorized all the vocal parts for most of their songs because they just kick so much a$$. As for Cantrell's solo stuff, I have it all, and like it. Boggy Depot wasn't so hot, but Degradation Trip is one of the most powerful albums I've ever listened to 1000 times. I think that says it all. But I will add quickly that when Cantrell came through SLC back in . . . 2001? it was an awesome show, even without Staley.

The rest of this list could basically be my own. I attribute this partly to the fact that R and I played in a band together and have been sharing great music for years. And years. And years. And hopefully many more years.

A few exceptions though:

Dream Theater - Scenes never did a ton for me, although they really do have some brilliant musical ideas all through the album. But anymore, I get lost in all the musicality and wish for their better songwriting, which takes me back to the days of Awake. I still have that whole album memorized. I also really like a lot of their newer, heavier stuff, and I would put Train of Thought up at the top of my personal list of their stuff.

Queensryche - I like Operation Livecrime the best. Not Mindcrime, but Livecrime. There is a HUGE difference somehow.

Metallica - I think I'd agree with E in taking Load above the rest, which probably just shows my strong bias toward grunge.

Nirvana - Never been a huge fan.

I would probably add Chevelle, although I don't think I could pick an album. Lateralus by Tool would have to be on here for me. And I would have to add Kind of Blue by Miles Davis to the list. Maybe I should just make my own . . .

Mama said...

Son, you have to much time on your hands. I must say that some of the albums I am familiar with, some are way out on a hill somewhere but I have always known you to be open minded and but where is Johnny Horton, and Guns n' Roses, how quickly we forget our roots. Write On, son.

riotimus said...

I enjoy a lot of Johnny Horton's songs. The trouble with putting him on this list is that I don't know any of his albums to put them on here. Guns n' Roses ought to be on here though, Appetite for Destruction was an amazing, though foul, album.

R.

Jen said...

This post is a treasure!