Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The New Story

Today I started a new story, and surprisingly enough, it didn't start out with a name. Very unusual for me. Anyways, 126 words on it today.

I have a question and I don't know if this crowd has an answer, I obviously don't, or I wouldn't have to ask. I have three stories (including the one I just finished) about the cowboy-turned-dude-wrangler Hobb and his adventures from his teens into his young adult life. One is about the loss of a horse, another about taking a herd of horses where they never should have gone, and the last about drag racing and ditching cops. Any suggestions for where to send them? For all that Hobb is a cowboy they aren't really cowboy stories, but maybe they would be considered to be by the masses. Any tips would be welcome, as I'm ready to start adding to my collection of rejection slips now that I'm out of school. Speaking of rejection letters, did anyone read that essay that I linked in my NULC post? As a receiver of many rejections I found it very helpful. Hope everyone is writing their guts out. As soon as I get my login stuff for the Word Counter's page I will start logging my word counts there. Really. I will.

R.

5 comments:

Ben said...

I hain't got the slightest idea where you should send your Hobb stories. I didn't notice a link from your NUCL post. I'll have to go look at it again.

Ben said...

Oh, THAT link. I now remember seeing it and thinking I'd get back to it after finishing that mammoth post. :)

I liked that essay. His rejection slip samples were great. I hope to have some rejection slips of my own one day.

riotimus said...

He told a very funny story about that essay. Apparently a few weeks ago he was at another much longer conference, and the editor who sent him the "twit soaking peanuts in Pepsi" letter was in attendence. All week she was very kind and suggested that he send her some stories and he just smiled and nodded, knowing full and well that he would be reading that essay. He said she didn't have anything to say to him for the rest of the conference.

I guess it just goes to show, don't assume someone won't make it and have more prestige than you someday. At least that's what I took from it.

R.

Liz said...

'Course, if you would let me KNOW that you don't have your password I'd send it to you. Email me at wordcountbuddies@yahoo.com.

--Liz

Ing said...

I just read the article you linked in the NULC post, too. :) I love how the "soaking peanuts in Pepsi" editor got her comeuppance. I also liked the "What dying donkey?" part.