Saturday, April 19, 2008

They Got Rhythm

So the other day I was driving and heard The Wizard by Black Sabbath on the radio. It got me thinking about some of my favorite rhythm section moments.

This is a funny post, I know, because there will inevitably be someone who will read this and think "Those guys suck," but that is why I said favorite and not best. Anyways, knowing that there are many drummers and bassists who are more capable, at least on a technical level, I find that the two rhythm sections that make me wish that I were a drummer or bassist are the killer combos of Geezer Butler and Bill Ward from the early Black Sabbath days and John Paul Jones and John Bonham from Led Zeppelin.

I really tried to find someone who wasn't from the late sixties/seventies, mostly because I wasn't even alive when some of my favorite recordings by these guys were done, but I just couldn't. I've wondered if it was the era - with so much being done that was fresh and rock really breaking with its core building blocks of pop and dance music. Whatever the reason, I find something in the rhythm sections of these two bands that I don't hear, even from bands that are undeniably better.

I have put some songs into my player dealy to the right. It was hard to decide what songs to pick. Actually for Black Sabbath it wasn't bad - The Wizard and War Pigs are probably the most amazing recordings from an amazing duo.

The Zep was tougher because what Bonham and Jones have together is a lot more subtle. To really appreciate what they do I think someone would have to listen to their entire catalog with the intent of not being distracted by Pages "I'm the coolest guitar player in the world so I can get away with having the ugliest guitar tone" noise or Plants crooning.

I chose Good Times, Bad Times mostly because of the bass drum. I've seen drummers try that with double bass and still not pull it off. (You're thinking of Portnoy and suspecting that those drummers must suck. Indeed, they were small timers, but who in the pro scene compares to Portnoy anyways?).

Immigrant Song is an incredible tune; it is probably the most intense of anything Zep did, but at the same time Jones manages to drive some amazingly melodic playing into the choruses.

Whole Lotta Love doesn't have anything in particular, it just rocks and it is short. I've always thought that Page was the king of awesome riffs who should have brought in Clapton or just about anyone else for the lead work. The two exceptions to me (cliche as they may be) are Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love. So stay tuned through Plant's animal noises in the interlude because the solo right before the song comes back in is a rare moment for Jimmy Page.

R.

6 comments:

Gretschzilla said...

You are completely justified in being a Black Sabbath fan. Bill Ward is one of my five favorite drummers of all time, and I don't think there has ever been a more underrated player. Trying to get good enough to play War Pigs kept me going when I felt like my calves were on fire and my arms might fall off. Of course I never could play it exactly, but there was vast improvement due to its influence I am certain. Bonzo is on my list too, and Good Times Bad Times is probably my favorite LZ song , mostly because of his superhuman right footwork.

Ing said...

Seems like we're thinking on a similar wavelength--totally by coincidence, I wrote a post a little bit like this one (but about bass playing, not rhythm sections in general) on my blog yesterday.

Y'know, I never paid much attention to Led Zep (though of course I've heard them plenty...hard not to), but actually paying attention to these songs, I have to agree that there's a good reason people talk up Zep's rhythm guys so much. Some good work there, to say the least.

Black Sabbath is another classic band I haven't spent much time with--though considering what I profess to like, you'd think I would. I was already on board with that one, though--Sabbath rules.

Good picks!

Karl said...

Those are some truly great rhythm sections you have chosen there, and some great tunes too. Immigrant Song is one of my favorites

I am going to offer a differing opinion though. I think the rock of that era was much more closely tied to blues, and the rock we hear most today is much more closely tied to pop and dance - just listen to the discotheque beat that resides behind half of the rock on the radio today. A second problem is that lots of rock today goes for raw power, which means that you need everybody playing pretty much the same thing to get that superb metal sound that we all love so well. Finally, in the era you've chosen, guitar heroes were a relatively new thing in rock. What we consider a band today is actually just a rhythm section with a singer - guitars included. But nowadays, lots of rock has evolved to where the guitars are seen as melody and not rhythm, which relegates the bass and drums even further to existing under the radar.

Finally, I would like to submit a few honorable mention rhythm sections from our era. You can't ignore the phenomenal experience of listening to the rhythm section in older Metallica tunes. Tool is pretty amazing too. But my personal favorite is . . . The Deftones. Yes, you read that right. I can't really explain it, but they have this groove where half the time it feels like the song is about to collapse into chaos, and yet it's all done so tightly it baffles me. Amazing. If you doubt, listen to the sweet groove that is Rx Queen off White Pony.

Ing said...

The Deftones? Karl, I had thought better of you than that.

Heh. Kidding. I haven't ever really listened to them. Might have to track that song down.

A couple other current-era rhythm sections worthy of mention:
-- Temple of the Dog: Jeff Ament on bass and..I forget the drummer's name...dang. Some beautiful stuff going on on that album.
-- Audioslave: Seems to me that this one connects more to the blues than most rock these days. All the instruments (including Cornell's vocals) work together so seamlessly it's like there is no rhythm section--the whole band is the rhythm section.

Shary said...

Wow, I actually recognize some of this music.. I almost feel hip! I wanted to offer up another tune for your consideration.. but I can't remember the band.. nor hte drummers name.. so.. maybe not so hip after all... DRAT! Al I can remember is watchign a dvd of their farewell tour where the drummer.. now an old geezer, pull off this incredible 11 minute solo.. without having a heartaattack! I want to say it was YES.. .. but I can't be sure...With those few and pathetic clues, can you help me figure out who I"m thinking of..?

PS all my posts on blog spot are tagged as Shary ... DRAT! I really prefer the Shogun mystique...

Jarubla said...

I chalk one up for Immigrant Song...I know, easy pick 'cuz most folk know that one. I have heard very little Black Sabbath, mainly because the name felt so oily. Good on ya mom for having me 'remember the sabbath day, to make it holy.' You made me loathe Ozzy. Oh the memories of headless pigeons I could have had in my youth versus these latent ones of adulthood (I'm going to listen to Shot in the Dark now.

I will share a group with you, though I may be flogged for it; google Dragonforce and listen to their stuff. Prog rock makes me a bit amped, and is a far departure from Immigrant, but hey this is the internets right? I should spray a little bit and give my opinion if only for the sake of bolstering Al Gore's ego. He did after all invent this blessed e-medium, hey?

-Jay