Sunday, April 13, 2008

One More Thing

Because I know all of my readers need another thing to do. Do any of you submit to Writers of the Future?

For all I know all of you do. If you don't, I think I'd like to throw the idea out there that we do it. It is a contest started by L. Ron Hubbard and carried on by big names like Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card, and Kevin J. Anderson. The pot is huge and the winners and top finalists are published in annual editions of Writers of the Future Volume Whatever.

So here is my reasoning in this:

1) It is quarterly, ongoing, and there are no entry fees. That means that there is a deadline every three months to shoot for.

2) It is judged by successful writers, not given-up writers turned editor.

3) It helps establish a habit of getting your stuff together and shipping it out, and building your Resistance to rejection notices. There is more to our business than just being an artist. For more on that I recommend Holly Lisle's site which is packed with eye-opening info about the business from someone very particular about their status as a "full-time writer."

The longest works that they accept are 17000 word novellas, and I have the impression that most of the word buddies are working on novels. I will share two thoughts and then mind my own business. As much as I am able anyways. First, Ender's Game was originally published as a novella and later expanded into the very successful novel that it is. No, that had nothing at all to do with WoTF, but it goes to show that sometimes it is easier to get a foot in the door with a less risky smaller piece than a novel. Second, hugely successful writer George R.R. Martin says on his website that if he were trying to break into the fantasy author scene that he would start sending short stories to the many short-works fantasy publishers out there, and that after getting a few of those published the big presses would be begging for a novel. I might also point out that Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series was preceded with a novella which introduced readers and publishers to his world.

On the downside, I do get e-mails from them regularly offering me deals-of-a-lifetime on back issues of the books, but they aren't that bad. The other thing is that I bought a few volumes and did some very crude word count calculations and I found that virtually all of their published stories fell between 15 and 17k, and there were none shorter than 12k in the volumes I picked up. So besides the habitual skin-thickening benefits I mentioned earlier, if you actually want to win you have to get your story as close to the 17k limit as possible without going over and without crappy filler.

I obviously am not there yet, but in the most prolific writing period of my life I worked around the quarterly deadlines (March 31, June 31, September 31, and December 31) to keep my momentum. I actually had a four-step submission plan where I sent the new story to WoTF first, then another publisher next, a third, and finally a fourth as it was rejected to keep my name out there and increase my odds at selling some stories. It was just as I really got the system working that I reached critical mass with school and turned all efforts into completing my bachelor's degree. Now I am thinking about getting back into that and would like to invite you all to come along.

R.

10 comments:

Ben said...

I'm seriously tempted. Short stories are certainly an easier bite to chew, and if the market is there then it might be easier to get published as well and get that foot in the door.

From your research, do you know what the ratio of fantasy to science fiction is in WOTF? I've never really felt inclined to write science fiction. But it seems to me that fantasy doesn't lend itself very well to the short story medium. Or at least, people don't see to publish as many fantasy short stories.

Liz said...

This is an interesting idea. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I might well have a go at it, once I get my current WIP put to bed and start sending some queries out. I hope that will be around the beginning of the month, but then again, I thought that I'd be ready by Feb1 and it didn't happen. It would be a good opportunity to let one of my secondary characers, who simply refuses to keep quiet, have his day in the sun... well, have his couple of hours in the sun anyway.

riotimus said...

The ratio of sci-fi to fantasy is about 9 to 1. "Why do you think that is, Riotimus?" Well, since you asked . . . I think it is because there is so much crap in fantasy. When was the last time you cracked open a Forgotten Realms title? You were probably in high school, and you had all of the calendars because FR got amazing artists like Elmore and Caldwell to do their covers, and you would look at that calendar and think "I bet that is a great book. I mean, look at the cover." So you went to the book store and shelled out seven bucks for it (because they don't carry those in any respectable library), took it home, and tore into it. You thought, "This is Fantastic." But at some point as you slogged through the book, you asked yourself, "What in the 4377 is this person doing writing a book? I've seen IM talk that was more cohesive than that. (Okay, there wasn't IMing back in the days that I'm talking about, but I bet that I am older than most of the WCB's) What a long monologue to illustrate my point . . . Anyways, you won't find anything like Forgotten Realms for sci-fi. Not that there isn't crap that is sci-fi, but it isn't as loud about sucking as bad fantasy. Am I wrong?

R.

Ben said...

You are not wrong. Not wrong at all.

Ing said...

Very true. It's embarrassing how much truly awful fantasy gets published.

(Then why does it seem so hard to get published? Shouldn't that make it a little easier for writers whose stories don't suck? I dunno.)

You know, Patrick Rothfuss (who I've mentioned on my blog, and who I know from grad school) got his novel through the publishing door in exactly that way--not the D&D-backed pulp b.s. way, the short-story contest way. If I remember right, it might even have been by winning this very contest.

Ing said...

Sorry for the double post...but thought you might be interested to know...

Patrick Rothfuss did indeed win a Writers of the Future award, in 2002. He was the first-place winner in the second quarter, according to the WotF website, but did not win the Gold Award.

His piece was part of a monumental fantasy story he'd been writing, and it got him a reading with an agent, who then got him a contract to publish his story as a trilogy.

So it can be done.

I've got a long way to go before I have anything submittable, but I'd love to try the Writers of the Future. I'll be pulling for any of you who are at a point where you can do it.

riotimus said...

I'm glad to share the contest with some of you, or put the thought of entering for some of you. I'm excited to have some fellow writers to enter with. Thank you all for your comments.

R.

Ben said...

17k. Isn't that really long for a short story? I haven't read many short stories, so I'm not sure what is normal for that medium.

Liz said...

ONLY 17K? I'll have a job to keep it under that! Still, it's a great exercise.

Karl said...

I have to humbly disagree about the idea of no bad science fiction out there. I happen to think there is lots. Just look at all the Star Wars branded books you can find! Although I haven't read any of them, surely they can't be any better than the D&D stuff?!?!