Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Class Divisions

They are very interesting, these non-real life microcosms that are our classrooms. Yesterday I taught Algebra. Or I suppose I should say that I babysat a room full of kids that were supposed to be doing Algebra assignments given by their regular teacher. Throughout the day I noticed that there were students that would get the work done, students that would play around with it like my three-year-old does his dinner, and students that would not even take out their writing utensils. This last group would tell me that they couldn't do the assignment because they didn't know what to do.

Sometimes I would know, sometimes I would not; I am a writer and historian, after all, not a mathematician. It has been over eight years since I squeaked through College Algebra with just high enough marks to have it transfer when I moved and switched schools. Whatever.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



For the last class of the day, it was not knowing most often. So when one of the kids who tore through the assignment finished I asked him to help some of the students who were having trouble. This is what he did, no kidding: studiously avoiding those who had not deigned to whip out their pencils, he went to all of the kids that were playing with the assignment and asked if they needed help, then helped or moved on as their response warranted.

I could speculate on and on about how and why this happened, but instead I will merely leave my observation here for your consideration.

R.

2 comments:

riotimus said...

I'm not sure how RSS Feeds and the like work, but since I changed this post about seven times from the first publishing I hope that you all weren't flooded with every single draft. If so then accept my apology for being sleepy, sloppy, and indecisive.

R.

Ing said...

If sleepy/sloppy/indecisive blogging demands an apology, I owe you all bigtime. :) No problem. I think the RSS feed only picks up any given post once; it might get marked as unread if you revised it after I'd visited, but it'd still just be that one post entry in my feed.

Anyway...

Interesting question. Maybe he assumed it was only worth helping those who by at least attempting the assignment had proven they were trying to do it. Yet it does seem that people tend to avoid those who need the most help, in classrooms and in the rest of life. (It's easy to assume that everybody who's homeless neither wants nor really deserves a home, for instance.)

Great song choice. Perfect for the topic. And it's Rush...which just basically makes it perfect anyway. :)