Thursday, March 05, 2009

Uh-oh, It's Magic

I find that there are almost as many songs with magic as there are fantasy novels with lame magic. Like bad fantasy magic, I grew weary of sifting through lame songs to make this playlist for your listening pleasure. Feel free to skip as you please.

Yesterday I was substituting at a remedial high school, one where everyone there lives in a group home for various reasons and where a few are at about the same reading/writing/counting level as my five-year old. In between doing my best to help those that were willing to accept it an idea hit me that had me wanting to yodel like the freak in Hocus Pocus.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



I'm not sure whether I'm elated or horrified, but with sudden clarity I saw a magic system that would meet most all of my overly-critical magic requirements: it would not be a regurgitation of some better (or at least more successful) author's system; it would be grounded in science; it would create more problems than it ever solves for the user. Now I must rework my world to accommodate this new development. It is bittersweet; it will be more work, but it should make the story more marketable. Or something like that.

R.

3 comments:

Ing said...

You know, I've heard the main guitar riff from that Hocus Pocus song practically EVERYWHERE...never knew where it actually came from. Man, that is one weird-ass song. I prefer the disembodied riff. Those guys had to have been on acid; no other explanation for it. Although maybe they actually had just discovered a new fantasy magic system. :)

That's cool. (Er, horrible?) Kind of funny how those things can come to you at seemingly incongruous times. If it improves your story and floats your boat, then that's all you can ask.

Ing said...

Right now I'm imagining you busting out that Hocus Pocus yodel (or maybe even the gibberish sentences from the middle of the song) at your sub teaching gig, just out of the middle of nowhere. Heh.
:)

Ben said...

Cool! I love epiphanies like that. I'm looking forward to reading your novel one day.