Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fiction or Non-Fiction

I’ve decided to do an edition of “Or What?” that deals with what we read. I’ve noticed differences in the way I handle fiction and non-fiction works and that has led me here to ask about reading patterns.




When I crack open a novel I find that I can burn through it in a matter of days even with work and writing and whatever else I’m doing. Some go faster than others; I blasted through Card’s Empire in no time flat, but I’m slogging my way through Madame Bovary after months. I didn’t enjoy Empire, so my reading pleasure isn’t a factor; I suppose it could be the translation factor on a two-hundred year old text. I had the same problem with War and Peace so it is quite possible. However, those are exceptions. Most fiction flies by for me whether I would wish it or not.

Non-fiction is another story. I tend to read a lot of it because being a historian is on my list of aspirations. I’m currently reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Still reading it. It is a monster of a book dwarfing Robert Jordan-sized novels and sporting that tiny text publishers seem to cherish for non-fiction. I think I am a third of the way through it. It is a revelation as to how fast a constitutionally protected nation can in the space of a decade become a dictatorship and police state by the will of a determined person who has cultivated the loyalty of the right thugs. That is all beside the point, though. I read a lot of history and a lot of geography works, along with whatever subject I find I am lacking but need for my stories. It always takes so long to get through, even if it is worth it in the end.

There isn’t much that I don’t read; if I have one area that gets ignored it is contemporary standard fiction. I usually don’t pick up contemporary fantasy or sci-fi either. I don’t have patience to wait years for the next installment only to have the author keel over before completing the series; I’m thinking of Robert Jordan and George RR Martin here. Only Jordan is dead, but everything else applies to Martin. By the time his next volume is done I will have to reread the series to remember what is going on and I’m not sure I’m emotionally up for that. I would have been better off waiting until he finished or died, but it’s too late for that. I tend to lean towards British Lit from the Romantic and Victorian periods. Some of my favorites are pre-WWII American works like All the King’s Men and anything by Willa Cather.

So what kind of things do you read? Is it strictly fiction? Specific genres of fiction? Do you have noticeable patterns when you switch types or genres?

Write On,
R.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I'm still in school, so I read what I'm told to and find I have little time or inititive to read much else.

Love,
E.

Ben said...

I pretty much stick to modern fantasy. I have never read much non-fiction, except for when I was in school. I'm now reading several books about the Vikings as research for my novel, and I've found that the only reason I don't finish them as quickly is because I don't pick them up as often. I enjoy reading them, but there's just no urge to get to the end to find out what happens, no suspense to drive me on. So when something else interesting comes up, it's easier to put them down.

Ing said...

What do I read? Not much these days, to be honest. Not sure why that is...unless it's just that I don't feel like I have a lot of time to read. Or that it takes more energy than TV or the internet.

Actually, I do read a fair bit. I used to always say fantasy was my favorite reading, but I'm not sure that's true anymore. I love reading a good fantasy...but the key word is *good.* Most fantasy, I've decided, is crap. I read a fair amount of historical fiction, probably more of that the last few years than anything else. Not much nonfiction; like Ben says, it's the story, and the suspense of wanting to know what happens to the characters, that compels me to pick something up and keep going at it.

Stephanie said...

I really enjoy reading non-fiction, if the subject appeals to me. One of my favorite non fiction works is Reviving Ophelia: Saving the selves of Adolescent Girls (http://www.amazon.com/Reviving-Ophelia-Adolescent-Ballantine-Readers/dp/0345392825)


I Just love to read anything that teaches me something new. I think that is partially what drew me to fantasy - it was something new.

Stephanie said...

Oh, and E, I wanted to say that I once took a literature class from BYU online in order to broaden my reading horizons. Reading what you're told is not always a bad thing. At least it helps us develop our literary tastes... =)

Gretschzilla said...

I like the idea of fantasy novels, but I have never been able to get too into reading them. Maybe I'm just a little lazy. I love Sci-Fi and suspense. This semester I've discovered that I really enjoy reading memoirs. I don't know why.

Gretschzilla said...

p.s. The "Reading Rainbow" theme was a very nice touch, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Jen said...

Aestril~

I agree. But I find that the "textbook" design is mostly disappointing. I've really enjoyed the "books" I've been assigned, and they have indeed broadened my reading horizons.

~E.

Stephanie said...

E-

I'm sorry that I came off as lecturing...didn't mean to, just sharing my thoughts on your thought.

R- Sorry we hijacked your comments board. =)

Aestril

Gretschzilla said...

Reading Rainbow is working now. We can all relax.