Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Linkin Park or Mansfield Park

For this installment of “Or What?” I will be offering up California nu-metal rockers Linkin Park up against Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park. On the one hand you get that unique amalgamation of pop, rap, and metal that is Linkin Park, and on the other you get one of Austen’s least popular books, maybe the least.

Several years ago I saw a televised performance of Linkin Park. To say that they were sucking it up is an understatement. Chester (blonde guy, does all of the singing and most of the screaming) was all over the place trying to find some semblance of pitch. I was thinking that digital sound manipulation was a handy thing for them. That didn’t stop me from enjoying a lot of their recorded material, and I have heard enough of them sounding good live to think that the sound guy must have forgotten to turn on Chester’s ear plug monitors. I bet he woke up in a dumpster. At least that’s where I fancy I would have put him after being televised with no idea where in the hell my vocals were in the mix. I’ve made a little mix of LP songs for your listening because I know you come here planning to spend a half hour listening to the music I’ve chosen for you.




Mansfield Park was an interesting story listening experience for me. I’ve found that I have a love for Jane Austen books on audio that I never had on paper. It must be the accents. This was a hard one for me though. From the criticism I’ve read of the novel I’m not unique in despising Fanny. I found her to be annoyingly timid and I couldn’t abide all of the cringing. Of course the salt in the wound came at the end of enduring Fanny’s suffering when Austen says that Fanny is the ultimate example of womanly virtue. I would like to have seen what would have happened if Austen had stuck Elizabeth in Mansfield Park. It would have been a much more interesting story. If any of you are suddenly slammed with inspiration and decide to write that story be sure to send me a copy for my reading pleasure.



As far as redemption goes for the Fanny factor there is a little. The amoral Crawford siblings provide some interesting dialogue and intrigue to the book. I think Henry Crawford must have provided Oscar Wilde with at least some inspiration for the illustrious Dorian Gray. There are also some very touching moments, some joyous and some heartbreaking. I have to admit to feeling a lot of satisfaction when the evil Mrs. Norris takes it upon herself to leave Mansfield Park to stay with the shamed slattern Maria. It has quite a happy ending for some of the characters, the ones that aren’t evil.

So . . . would you listen to Linkin Park or read Mansfield Park? Or would you listen to Linkin Park while reading Mansfield Park? That possibly could add a lot to both experiences. Until next time, Write On.

R.

7 comments:

Gretschzilla said...

Is this a vote? If so, put me down for Linkin Park, all the way.

Ben said...

I've read a couple of Austens, but not Mansfield Park. The movie was decent. As for Linkin Park, I've never heard them live, but I enjoy a lot of their recorded material (despite my general disgust with rap and much of the nu-metal scene). I think I'll have to go with Linkin Park.

Jen said...

Well, I'm a bit torn on this one...having read everything else of Jane Austen's I would almost hands down go with Mansfield Park just by association. I really can't abide all the screaming that comes with the nu-metal scene...however, LP does offer up some pretty groovy tunes, but you didn't put any of them on your list...so...I'll go with Mansfield Park since no one else has yet.

Love,
E.

Ing said...

I love the screaming! It's my favorite part. Unfortunately, I hate Linkin Park.

Well, not entirely; I bought their first album, and I still think it kicks butt, but I have only scorn and derision for their rap collaborations and the weak-a** filler that afflicts their later albums. (I notice that all but one song in this playlist are from the first album, which kind of makes my point.)

So I'd take Austen's weakest book over Linkin Park any day. Besides, it's Jane Austen! Austen rules.

I like the movie version of Mansfield Park quite a bit, myself; it's more enjoyable than the book. As for Austen's worst book, I think _Persuasion_ actually takes that distinction. Still, Austen's worst could put a lot of other books to shame.

riotimus said...

I thought I was a man of taste . . . Persuasion is my favorite of her works. At least it is tied with Pride and Prejudice in my book. I will have to try to find the movie version of Mansfield Park. I hope they made Fanny a bit less weak-kneed.

I agree that LP really fell off on their later albums, but there was a lot of good stuff on that first one.

riotimus said...

Since Ing brought up Persuasion I suppose I should clarify that I was talking about sending Elizabeth Bennett to Mansfield Park, just in case anyone was confused about that.

R.

Ing said...

You are a man of taste...it's just what *kind* of taste that's the issue. (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) :)

Well, if there's one thing that's bound to become apparent when people start talking about books (or music, or...), it's that reasonable people with reasonably good taste can have equally good reasons for thinking opposite things.

(Dang, now I'm confused.)

Whether you liked the book or not, I recommend the movie version of Mansfield Park. But be sure to get the film version (with Frances O'Connor as Fanny Price), not the more recent made-for-TV version. The film takes a lot of liberties with the characters, making some of them very different from their print counterparts, but it really works. I like the movie a lot.