Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Going Around the Office

So with the entire office given the boot by the company to which we gave a collective 219 years of service, I received a variation of this email about twenty times today with something like "We can use all the luck we can get." My principles kept me from sending it to anyone, but this is my interpretation of it:

"To:RIOTIMUS91459873451@mail.com; dude@mail.com; buddy@mail.com; beavis@mail.whitehouse.gov; butthead@mail.gov; chickla@mail.com; linus@mail.com

From: PAB@mail.com

Subject: FW: Chinese Luck Proverb

[Imagine this coming out in a slow Power Point format on a lovely beige background]

This is a Chinese Proverb.

It started in Amsterdam.

It has been around the world 278.6 times. Keep it going.

Don't change any text from the way it came to you.

The Chinese Proverb:

Money can buy you a hot dog, but it can't fill your heart.

Money can buy a house, but it can't make a home.

Money can pay for your cab to the red-light district, but it can't buy you love.

Send this to twenty people you know need good luck.

Good luck will come to you within 24 hours.

Good luck will come in the mail or through the Internet.

One guy got this message and sent it on within five minutes. The next day he got a new job and had lunch at his favorite restaurant.

Another guy ignored this message. Later that day his grandma beat him half to death with a toilet plunger. With his dying breath he crawled to the computer and sent the message out. His grandma had a change of heart and called 911 and he was resuscitated.

A lady sent this message out within 24 hours of receiving it and the next day she got a check for ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Some guy deleted this message without reading it. He got dysentery from his favorite restaurant and his mom kicked him out of the basement.

Jack sent this message out and he got a girlfriend and the DRE700 was elected president.

Send this to 20 people and you will have good luck."

Yeah.

R.

8 comments:

Gretschzilla said...

What if I just show this blog to a bunch of my coworkers? Do you think that would keep me from developing a lung fungus?

PAB@mail.com. Classic.

Stephanie said...

I wish The Onion would've mentioned Jack's role in getting the DRE700 elected. It totally changes everything.

riotimus said...

Show the blog to who you like. If it doesn't protect you from the lung fungus I don't know what will.

I bet Jack had nothing at all to do with it. It surely was just FW misinformation for the unsuspecting. The real story of DRE700's rise to power can be found on Aestril's blog, for them as that have no idea what the reference is.

R.

Stephanie said...

Said blog can be found here: http://aestril.blogspot.com/

Shary said...

Again, I have been enlightened!
:-)

Mama said...

I must get 5 of those, pass it on e-mails every day. I will not say what I do with them, as I must protect the innocent and not admit to anything or deny anything that may or may not bring me or anyone else I know or don't know any of the previously mentioned luck or curses depending up on whether or not the e-mail was or was not passed on. That is all I have to say about that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mama, that was priceless. Thank goodness I was not drinking at the time. R, sorry to hear about what happened. It's going around, that's for sure. I left work one Friday working for one company and came in Monday to find out I was working for another. We still don't know exactly what it means for us, but our fingers are crossed. You have my sympathies.

Ing said...

Whoa! Your whole office is jobless, just like that? Harsh.

Almost as harsh as the fung lungus (or maybe fungus lung) I'm going to get because I continually scoff at these good-luck-send-it-on chain emails. (As Derek Zoolander said, "I think I have the black lung, Pop.")

At least my grandma hasn't beaten me to death with a toilet plunger yet. Maybe I'll link to this post, just to make sure I don't suffer that evil fate. :)