Thursday, November 20, 2008

Solitude




Tonight I was walking home from work a little after sunset. It was cool and the world was blanketed in gold and shadow. I past a house some distance from my home and as the man there was opening his door to climb into his car he offered me a ride. I declined and kept on. It is a quiet neighborhood, and I enjoy the smell of the fallen leaves and the light breeze on my face. It reminds me that I am alive; it awakens some inner self that is free and hopeful. As I walked on I thought about the man. I can't recall his name, but every time I have seen him he has been friendly and kind. I wonder if it would have been better to reach out and make human contact instead of savouring my solitude.

R.

1 comment:

Gretschzilla said...

I always come up with cool things to write about when I'm walking by myself. I don't know why. Human contact and solitude are both rare gifts, so that's a tough call.