Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Vikings: A Very Short Introduction

If you have ever had an interest in the old savage Norsemen but did not want to wade through monstrous volumes of archeological ramblings or neo-Nazi propaganda or romanticized Viking inspired literature, than Richards’ Introduction could be the perfect match for you. With around 130 pages of text, this little volume is a pleasant read and a great back-pocket size for anyone that likes to keep something to read readily available.

The content is quite satisfying and Richards’ information is very up-to-date. I liked how well the narrative flowed—sometimes reading a history book is like reading a textbook and that is wrong. Very wrong. When I finished The Vikings, I wanted more. The book increased my knowledge and understanding of these people who dominated the middle Middle Ages and left me anxious to expand on that.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in:
Vikings
The Middle Ages
History of the British Isles (Britain, Ireland, Isle of Man, Shetland Island, etc.)
Ships or naval history
Scandinavian history
European history
Archeology
Early exploration
History of trade

Some of these subjects are merely touched on. Some have chapters dedicated to them. I found Richards had good enough insights into them to add them to the list. So read and enjoy, if you have the urge. And remember, “Valhalla, I am coming,” as Robert Plant once crooned.

R.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Good info.

E.

Ben said...

Cool. I'll have to check that out one day. In my amorphous plans for a novel, I have planned on basing one of the cultures loosely on Vikings or one of those old Germanic or Scandinavian peoples. (Is that vague enough?) This book should give me some good info. All I know about Vikings and those other related people comes from novels. You should check out these books by Parke Godwin if you haven't read them already:

Firelord
Beloved Exile
The Tower of Beowulf

They are historicized versions the tales of Arthur, Guenevere after his death, and Beowulf, respectively. Parke Godwin is an excellent writer.